Two prayers for alchemists from Über die Zauberkräfte der Natur, Munich, 1819, translated by Joscelyn Godwin]
Two Prayers for Alchemists
by Karl von Eckartshausen (1752-1803)
1. Light Supreme, who art the Divine in Nature and dwellest in its innermost parts as in Heaven, hallowed be thy qualities and laws!
2. Wherever thou art, all is brought to perfection; may the realm of thy Knowledge become subject unto thee.
3. May our will in all our work be only thee, self-moving Power of Light! And as in the whole of Nature thou accomplishest all things, so accomplish all things in our work also.
4. Give us of the Dew of Heaven, and the Fat of the Earth, the Fruits of Sun and Moon from the Tree of Life.
5. And forgive us all errors which we have committed in our work without knowledge of thee, as we seek to turn from their errors those who have offended our precepts. And leave us not to our own darkness and our own science, but deliver us from all evil through the perfection of thy Work, Amen.
Hail, pure self-moving Source, O Form, pure for receiving the Light! The Light of all things unites itself with thee alone.
Most blessed art thou among all receptive forms, and blessed is the Fruit that thou conceivest, the Essence of Light united with warm substance.
Pure Form, Mother of the most perfect Being, lift thyself up to the Light for us, now as we toil and in the hour when we complete the Work! If you have problems understanding these alchemical texts, Adam McLean now provides a study course entitled How to read alchemical texts : a guide for the perplexed.